Trademarks (and Servicemarks and other means of indicating the source of origin of particular goods) are protected for two primary reasons:
First, governments want to protect consumers. Trademarks protect consumers by a legal guarantee that all goods or services with a similar identifying characteristic all come from the same source; this provides a mechanism of trust for the consumer to rely on concerning the source and quality of a good or service.
Second, governments want to protect producers. Trademarks protect producers by ensuring that investment capital and time are efficiently and effectively recovered without fear of appropriation or de-valuation by competitors.
Our trademark practice is devoted to protecting your marks both nationally and globally. In providing this protection, we offer the following services to our clients:
- Faier counsels companies on trade secret matters and the theft of those secrets.
- Trade/Service Mark Searches (including pre-application searches, on-line screening searches, and full global searches)
- Trade/Service Mark Applications (including use-based and intent-to-use)
- Trade/Service Mark Licensing
- Opinions as to availability
- Opinions as to Registrability
- Office Action Prosecution
- Global Registration Strategy Consulting
- Concurrent Use Proceedings
- Registration Maintenance (including proof of filings, renewals, and assignments of ownership)
- Litigation (including infringement, oppositions, and cancellations)